Friday, January 1, 2010

Weight loss and The Power of the Written Word.

When asked: "What one thing helped me to loose the weight most?" It is easy.

Food Diary!

When I started with my trainer, he asked me to do a food diary. I was too write down everything that I put into my mouth and when. I also had to track my exercise for the day and what I was feeling. I had to email it to him at the end of every day he would comment on it and send it back the next day.

Easy right? NO!

First of all I had no idea how little I knew about food and nutrition. Also try to remember every thing you put in your mouth. Everything! Try it! What did you eat yesterday? New Years Eve? Every taste. Every Sip of water. When you did it and how much. Why did you put it in your mouth? What was the benefit too you for eating of drinking what you did? How did or how will it effect you? How did it make you feel. Did you need to do it? How many ounces of water did you drink? Did you exercise? When and how long?

Even if you are not as lucky or you don't want to pay someone to comment on what you eat. The benefit of writing down every thing you eat and drink is crucial to loosing weight and more importantly getting healthy. I think you will find that it is hard to do. It will make you to start to think about that half ounce lick of peanut butter off the end of the butter knife making your child's lunch. It counts! For me I also started to think how my trainer was going to comment on what I ate. Because he held me accountable for what I ate. He would explain the good and the bad. He would answer all of the questions above. The information I gained was invaluable.

Doing a Food Diary is not just a way to loose weight. It is a lifestyle change. You will start to see the patterns, making it easier to pinpoint your problem areas. You also have to do it for at least 30 days. Everyday. Make it a habit. You will find that you will go back and read what you did. You will make mistakes. You will cheat. Its OK. But you will see it. The diary will help you get back on track. You will train your brain to think about what you are putting into your mouth and why. It will become second nature.

As I said, you do not have to pay money to do this. But for me the benefit was that I needed the discipline. I needed someone to ask me why I didn't do my diary for Thursday (the New Years Eve party were I drank and ate too much)? lol. Also the knowledge I gained was incredible. I would suggest doing it with someone like I did. You can connect with my trainer by cliciking on the Love Street Living Foods Link on my page. He even has free information for you, But even if you don't, you will see a huge change in your life even if you do it on your own.

It is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment